Saturday 30 October 2010

Adverts...

Larry D's trip down memory lane with his breakfast cereals got me thinking about advertising. For quite some time before I finally ditched the TV, I was of the opinion that many of the adverts were better than the actual programmes. I rarely get to see TV ads these days, though there are plenty of bus shelter and poster ones around. But I still appreciate good adverts.

The psychology of it is quite clear: humour sells products (we all like to laugh) and "clever" sells even more successfully (we like to think we're clever enough to "get it"). Hence the success of the Silk Cut ads, which used the brand's colours (purple and white) and images of word play once the British government put restrictions on cigarette advertising which meant manufacturers couldn't say anything about the product itself (apart from the health warning.)


I was fascinated to spot an advertising company's debrief after the ad campaign for Silk Cut Ultra Light - due to the success of the original campaign, most people missed the "Ultra" references.

Anyway, I digress... I spotted a few references on Facebook to the latest T-Mobile advert, and how good it was. So, when I was checking out YouTube and I spotted the advert, I thought I'd have a little look.

It's great fun. I just want to know why nothing like this ever happens when I'm travelling... Definitely one of those feel-good video moments...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...