Friday 12 November 2010

A Cat-o-lick Dilemma...

As I have said, I am out for long periods during the day, and I don't want Monsignor Furretti to get lonely and bored - the flat will be trashed in a fortnight if I leave her completely alone. My initial plan - get two kittens from the same litter - was basically foiled when Catzinger croaked. Today I went to see if I could find a friend for Furretti.

I managed to find a cat of roughly the same age - not as easy as I'd have thought - and brought her home today. She's a black and white shorthair, very cute to look at, but she is incredibly timid. Every time I try and approach her, she shies away. In fact, she gets pretty nervous if I even turn to look at her, and scoots behind the armchair out of sight. I'd be happy to let her take her time, but she is wandering around, miaowing in a very plaintive manner, probably crying for her own litter-mates.


Anyway, this little kitty is another female. Her back paws are white "socks" while her front paws have a few white toes each. She has a white nose and muzzle, but a black chin, and a white bib on the front of her chest. She is about four months old, I think - just a little younger than Furretti.

Meanwhile, Furretti is throwing a strop. She is fascinated by the new arrival, but growls, hisses and spits in a most unwelcoming, antisocial way each time she approaches the newcomer. The hackles are definitely up, and battle will probably commence when I'm trying to get my much-needed beauty sleep.

I know, I know... it just needs time and patience...


I haven't come up with a suitable name. I had considered Catzinger II, but this kitty really doesn't look like a Catzinger. Cardinal Miaowro Piacenza was His Hermeneuticalness' suggestion, or Monsignor Guido Miaowrini was another of my ideas.

I've decided that I need to open it up to the com-box. Ground rules are simple - I don't want a name that could be considered a "real" person's name (like George, or Thomas) and it must be distinct from Furretti.

Thinking caps on, people...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my thoughts already - Magnifi - cat!

She looks absolutely gorgeous. Wishing you years of pleasure and hope the settling in goes to plan. :-)

Clifford Carvalho said...

I like Monsignor Guido Miaowrini. At least their names will get along: Msgr. Furretti and Msgr. Miaowrini.

Ches said...

Sister Cat E. Chism.

Elizabeth said...

Hows about Cardinale Miaowrini Timorous

Elizabeth said...

or alternatively "timorpus"

Just another mad Catholic said...

Sister Carmel (as she's timid)

Pastor in Monte said...

Mother Angeliclaw?
Mother Catbrini?
Mother Priorpuss?

Genty said...

She's a little sweetheart. Mgr Guido Miaowrini is an inspired choice and it gives them exactly the same status.
I suspect Furretti's nose is a bit out of joint with the newcomer taking away some of your attention.
Was your new kitten part of a litter born at the rescue centre or has she been in a litter of badly-treated or abandoned cats?
No doubt things will settle once Furretti establishes she's top cat.
PS Have you thought of setting up a separate kitty blog?

Richard Duncan said...

Sybil?

She should get on well with Basil (Loftus).

Pastor in Monte said...

Mother Superipaw?
Sister Cat?

Mark said...

In the early 18th century there was a Cardinal Portoghese (Cardinal Paw-toghese?) who, appropriately for a cat-themed cardinal, was in the habit of giving other cardinals gifts of exotic birds which were trained to sing in chorus (and, indeed, in parts).

Sue Sims said...

Clearly Mgr F. thinks she should be called 'Cardinal Grotti'...

(Though one has to have been a reader of the Catholic Herald of some years back to get that one.)

Mulier Fortis said...

Genty - once the cats have settled, I shall reduce the cat-posts to occasional cameo roles. I've only been writing so much about cats because their exploits have featured rather heavily in my life of late!

Genty said...

Oh-er, that's the opposite of what I meant. I want more!!! Thus I was sitting comfortably and inviting you to double your blog workload.
Mea culpa.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Mac: Let them get used to each other. If there is a way to keep them seperated and introduce them to each other gradually and/or allow them together ONLY when you are around that is best. They will continue to spar for dominance (but usually the first cat in residence wins) but it's worse at first. It will get better!

Monsignor Guido Miaowrini-ROFL!

Jonathan Marshall said...

I agree with Sue - Cardinal Grotti!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...