Friday 8 April 2011

A Bit Of A Flutter...

Tomorrow sees the Grand National at Aintree. This is an annual race which seems to get the whole country going to the bookmakers to place a bet. It's the only race on which I remember my father ever placing a bet - though, to be strictly accurate, he actually joined the sweepstake at his workplace and picked out Red Rum, the favourite. The poor man kept having to leave the living room where we were watching the race as he couldn't stand the tension. Red Rum went on to win.

I was in the parish club this evening after Stations of the Cross when it was announced that there would be a sweepstake for tomorrow's race. Obviously I had to have a go. I picked an envelope and found that my horse is Golden Kite, a complete outsider. So much of an outsider, in fact, that he only snuck in at the last minute because some other horses were withdrawn...

I don't think I need to hold my breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck - you never know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...