Sunday 8 April 2012

Photos From Maundy Thursday...

2012 04 05_0010Just a few days later than planned - I'm slowly catching up with myself...

We were extremely fortunate to be able to have Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form for Maundy Thursday. The music was beautifully sung by our choir - to say that the absence of the organ was really noticeable could be taken the wrong way, but what I actually mean is that the contrast struck me quite forcibly this year.

At what felt like the last minute, I was given the task of finding men for the Mandatum - the washing of feet - and was almost despairing, when, with less than ten minutes to go, I had only succeeded in getting one volunteer. Fortunately, with much arm-twisting and pleading, I managed to get another seven before the Mass started, and four of the servers were press-ganged to make up the full number. The reluctance of men to volunteer for the Mandatum was almost comical - I had no idea so many people had foot problems. It is not, however, without biblical precedent: think about how reluctant St. Peter was to have his feet washed...

One elderly man seemed quite touched by the request - he told me that he'd never been asked before, in 70 years of attending church, and thanked me profusely, though he still refused...

2012 04 05_0020

I've put up a selection of photos on my Flickr page.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...