Friday 14 December 2012

And Another Head Rises Above The Parapet...

I've only just found this statement from Bishop Mark Davies of Shrewsbury Diocese. I did think it odd that he didn't appear to have made a statement on same-sex "marriage." It seems that Bishop Davies actually made his statement the day before Archbishops Nichols and Smith published their joint statement on behalf of the Bishops' Conference of England & Wales.

I can understand the desire to have a single, united statement from the Bishops of England & Wales. However, I suspect that we really need every single Bishop to make it absolutely clear that they are opposed to the proposed legislation, that they believe that the guarantees being promised aren't worth the paper they are written on, and that they are going to exhort the faithful, in no uncertain terms, to oppose the Bill. It is worth reminding Mr. Cameron that there are rather a lot of Catholics in the country, and he tramples on our rights and consciences at his peril.

On that note, I have to say that I enjoyed the latest offering from Bones...


St. Jude is a particular favourite of mine, being the first saint I encountered "properly" when a novena to him sorted out a previously intransigent hospital waiting list.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that we might need to invoke the whole Litany...

5 comments:

Genty said...

Yes, I thought it surprising, too, oh me of little faith. So glad to be disabused. However, I think the present tally of outspoken bishops is as much as we can hope for. Sad, isn't it?

Anthony S. Layne said...

You might not "need" to invoke the whole Litany ... but it couldn't hurt, either.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I always tend to turn to St Jude for lost things and his intercession is always extremely swift.

For instance, recently my husband lost his bank card, and had spent hours looking for it. By the time I came home and asked St Jude to sort it out (for the sake of his peace of soul if nothing else), he immediately went upstairs and found it in the jacket of a suit he hadn't worn for weeks, despite the fact he had used the card in a shop (which is a fairly rare occurance for my husband), a few days earlier (!)

St Jude is lovely, but I agree that all the saints (who are all very close to us) would appreciate being asked for their intercession on this grave matter. For instance, an interview given by Michael Gove the other day seems to imply that he is impressed by St Thomas More....

Anita Moore said...

Here is the Dominican litany of saints, about which it is said: beware the litanies of the Dominicans!

http://v-forvictory.blogspot.com/2007/07/dominican-litany-of-saints.html

This is not the same as the Litany of Dominican Saints...but it probably couldn't hurt to pray that one, either.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Bravo to these brave men!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...